Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Nanny's Night Out

So our nanny (Jessie's baby sister Maghan) is out on the town running around our old stomping grounds. She's at Silver Cloud in the Marina for karaoke. Granted we rarely frequented Silver Cloud (and for anyone who has heard Jess sing, that is a good thing!). Just makes us think again how much things have changed for us. Actually with a holiday weekend we'd be out of town (at Hinkle and Misty's wedding this year), but any other weekend we'd have been out on Union or Chestnut at least a time or two per weekend, with a stop at Pizzeria Orgasmica and of course the Mona Loa.

Of course we have someone more important to take care of now. After a bunch more visits to the doctor this past week and blood work too, we still don't know why the little guy isn't gaining weight. He's up to 7-9 (a gain of only 1 ounce this past week) and the doctor is concerned that he isn't back to his birth weight and is losing all his baby fat. As a result our sole focus is to get him fattened up. Every 2 hours Jess feeds him and then I give him 2 more ounces of formula (the free samples we got in the mail came in hand, although I don't think we'll turn him into a hippie and use the soy varietal). The little guy seriously ends up in a food coma and halfway through the formula ends up with half of what he takes in dripping down his chin (dead sexy!). We go for another weigh in tomorrow, so we'll see if it is working (if they need to see some weight gain, I could hop on the scale for them).

Forgot to mention this, but the good news is all of Zack's blood work cam back normal, and he's acting like a normal baby and is super strong. It's frustrating to have everything appear to be going so well, only to find out Zack isn't gaining any weight. I know it's particularly rough on Jess. I just don't get what's going on. Maybe his metabolism is just wicked fast or something.

So a few amusing things about the doctor's visit.
- When the doc wrote up the form to get a tech to draw some blood it said "STAT. " Yes, the sheet of paper said STAT on it. For real, I remember in college where we said STAT all the time just for the hell of it, but that was the 1st time I ever heard the term used legitimately.

- Zack was about as big a fan of having blood drawn as his old man...look, I don't like needles.

- Speaking of my distaste for needles, as they were getting ready to stab (a term I used at the doctor's) Zack and take his blood, I started kind of hyperventilating and I had to step out into the hall (yeah, I'm a chicken sh*t!).

Dogs are still adapting well to Zack. Sierra is sneaking cheek and head licks now too. Foster and Sierra re really torn in the evenings too. They aren't sure if they should sleep with us or Meghan.

Alright, time to feed the baby...

1 comment:

KDoug said...

I love that Jeff had to step out of the room. I really think that the shots and getting blood drawn on your child have got to be the hardest things for a parent to watch (excpet for any other major medical things that unfortunately some parents have to go through.) I cried like a baby the first time I had to take Peyton. I could not stop crying. I think I cuddled and nursed her for my comfort more than hers :)