Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Baby Update

Went to the doctor on Tuesday and guess what? This little baby is ready to go! He has dropped down low into my pelvis, a process known as "lightening" for all of my non mommy friends. The doctor felt his head and basically said he can come now or a month from now. Hearing those words is soooo crazy...the anticipation is killing us! Physically my body is soooooo ready...mentally I still can't wrap my head around the fact that we are going to be parents in te next few weeks. Someone's life is going to be be dependant upon us, and that is just so scary! We love this boy more than anything we ever have, also a new feeling for us...can't wait to meet him!

I pasted a couple of little blurbs I found about "lightening" below. When I got home from the doc, I googled like crazy to see if I could find anything that would tell me how much time we have before baby comes. Almost everything said the same thing, on your first child, labor can occur anywhere from a few days to a few weeks after the baby drops....so who knows!

Lightening: Adjusting the pressure

One of the first signs of labor may be a sensation that the baby is settling deeper into your pelvis. This is known as lightening.

The baby's new position may give your lungs more room to expand, making it easier to breathe. On the flip side, you may experience pelvic discomfort, and increased pressure on your bladder may send you to the bathroom more often.

For a first pregnancy, lightening may occur weeks or days before labor begins. For subsequent pregnancies, it may not happen ahead of time. For some women, the changes are obvious. Others may not notice a thing.
(FYI, I noticed...breathing is much easier but my legs are so sore and the bathroom is where I spend increasingly more of my time)


Signs That Labor is Near
Before labor begins, many women have signs that labor is approaching. The
majority of women expecting their first baby feel lightening about two to three
weeks before the onset of labor. The feeling occurs because the baby begins to
settle into the lower part of the pelvis. That is why people often say, “the baby
dropped” when they refer to lightening. As the baby moves downward, the
fundus (top) of the uterus no longer presses on the diaphragm, and you can
breathe more easily after lightening. As the baby presses downward, however,
you may notice leg cramps or pains due to pressure on the nerves that pass
through the pelvis, more pressure on your urinary bladder (more trips to the
bathroom), more pelvic pressure, more swelling of the feet and ankles when you
are on your feet too long...

Baby Name:
Poor little guy still doesn't have a name. We just can't agree. If you haven't voted in our poll below I urge you to do so :-) We are takaing the results into consideration in our decision! (Salima, we were going to survey monkey all of south beach but couldn't get there!!!)

Kitchen:
Coming along, but now seems to be a little slower. Suppososedly cabinets are going up today. Sure hope so...just in case! :-) I can't really pack my hospital bag when I don't have clean clothes to put into it! Going to ur friends to do laundry this weekend while Jeff is out of town.

5 comments:

Huse Yo Mama said...

I think this part can quite possibly be the "longest." Even if you have him tomorrow. But, rest as much as you can. Eat well, shower well and....sleep!

California Dreamer said...

I can't wait for the push party. I have the Margarita Machine and Mariachi band ready to go. Squeeze your legs together until Cinco de Mayo!

S said...

Yes, definitely sleep as much as you can, although it is almost impossible at this point. ;)

Maybe you'll decide his name when you meet him, he may look like one name more than the other.

Suzi

Anonymous said...

Just caught up on the entire blog! You look great and I am so excited for you guys. Crazy...Jessie and Jeff as parents? You guys are gonna be amazing...lucky little Jake.

love maris

Anonymous said...

You are so far along compared to many first time Moms. I don't think Peyton dropped until I was actually in the hospital after 12 hours of contractions. You should be really excited about this progress. Have you stopped working yet? I hope you have your bags packed. If I was a better friend I would do it for you like Rachel did for me. But, I'm too far away at this point. Know I am thinking about it though :)

We love you bunches. Peyton can't wait to meet Zac. She kind of digs younger guys.

Think calm thoughts and make sure you sign the epidural paperwork regardless of what you think when you first go in.

kel